Creating, Modifying & Deleting Survey Projects
In this article:
- Delighted survey projects overview.
- Creating survey projects: quick start & video.
- Deleting projects.
- When to modify, reuse, or delete an existing project.
- Exporting and saving data before deleting.
- Renaming projects.
- Adding Additional Questions.
- Creating survey projects: step-by-step guide.
Delighted survey projects overview
Projects are workspaces where you'll create, modify, launch, and analyze every aspect of your survey campaigns. Every project is independent, which means every project houses a unique survey, and its own settings, distributions, integrations, people, and more.
Create a project for each new survey
To start a new project, click "Create new project" from the Projects menu and select a guiding survey methodology (such as “NPS” or Net Promoter Score).
Switch quickly between projects—and their supporting Dashboards—from the same drop-down menu.
Each project is built around a survey that collects feedback. The results are compiled in the Dashboard in real time. The Dashboard links to the survey’s Reports, Trends, Filters and other Metrics. Review the specifics in The Delighted Dashboard.
Creating survey projects: quick start & video
Create and launch new Delighted survey projects—from start to finish—in five easy steps. Track the steps on the Delighted progress bar.
The steps are:
Create Project: Select “Create a New Project” from the Projects menu.
Customization: Add your branding and customizations (color scheme, logo, text). See 4. Survey Customization in our Help Center.
People: Send the survey to your people (aka "participants," "respondents," "subjects," or “research panel”). See 5. Managing People & Properties also in our Help Center.
Watch how the 5 steps fit together in this abbreviated version of our Getting Started video appropriately called Creating Survey Projects.
Scroll down to Creating survey projects: step-by-step guide at the end of this article for a how-to guide covering all of the specifics.
The total number of projects that you can create is limited by your plan. (Review your Plans and Billing page for plans and project limits). Building a new survey campaign may require deleting an obsolete project first.
To delete or remove projects from your account:
- Open the “Projects menu.”
- Choose the “Gear” icon to the right of the project's name that is targeted for deletion.
- Choose “Delete this project” at the bottom of the Edit Project window.
- Verify your decision by clicking “Delete this project.”
Delighted will give you a chance to “Undo” the action if you change your mind. But if you click “X” and close the notification bar, the deletion is permanent and cannot be undone.
When to modify, reuse, or delete an existing project
As this decision matrix suggests, you may not need to create a new project if you can modify or reuse an existing one.
Edits and modifications can include, but are not limited to:
- Renaming a project
- Adding or editing distribution platforms
- Adding or editing Additional Questions
- Altering a survey’s customizations, including its question text
One thing you can’t do is substitute a survey's initial question type or methodology (say from NPS to CSAT). Doing so would throw your metrics into a tizzy. The perils are explained in FAQ 3. Can I change a survey’s question type or methodology? in the FAQs section. If you need to change the question type, delete the project and create a new survey from scratch.
Only Admins have permission to add or remove projects from an organization’s account. For security reasons, assigning user roles to team members (like Admin, Standard or Limited) is a good idea. User roles set the guardrails around who can change critical project settings and survey attributes. Learn everything Admins can do in our video-based Admin Certification training program.
If you are creating a Trial account, you are automatically an Admin, so create away!
Exporting and saving data before deleting
When it's necessary to delete a project, first Export your data and store it in a safe place. (Once deleted, a project’s data can't be recovered!)
To export all or part of your data:
- Select “Export data” near the bottom left corner of your Dashboard.
- Pick “Survey responses” to download all, or a portion of your responses as segmented by data range.
- Choose “Sent surveys” to isolate just your sent survey data by date range and/or by whatever planforms you are using. (In our example, both the Link and Email platforms have collected responses.)
- Select “Scheduled surveys” to download just a list of surveys yet to be sent within a date range.
- Click “Export to CSV” to download the data you selected to your computer.
Rename your projects in the Edit Project window:
- Open the “Projects menu” in the top left-hand corner of your Dashboard.
- Click the settings “Gear” next to a project’s name.
- Click inside the “Project name” box in the Edit Project window.
- Enter the new name.
- Click “Save changes.”
Your respondents never see the project’s name. The name you invent is for internal use and will appear in the Projects menu. A clearly identifiable name is extremely handy if you have a team working on a survey or if you have multiple projects in your account.
Adding Additional Questions
Additionally, view how easy it is to add Additional Questions by viewing this excerpt from our Core training video series.
Creating survey projects: a step-by-step guide
The project creation process can be completed vey quickly—with a bit of practice! Follow along as we explore all the step-by-step details that were introduced by the video Creating Survey Projects viewed at the start of this article.
In this section:
- Starting a new project.
- Selecting your survey type or methodology.
- Picking a distribution platform.
- Adding and editing customizations.
- Entering people and sending your survey.
- Awaiting your first response.
1. Starting a new project
If this is the very first project in your account, or if you are signing up for a free Trial account, this step is automatic and you'll be skipped forward to Step 2.
To add a new project to your account:
- Log into Delighted.
- Click “Create a new project” from the “Projects menu.”
2. Selecting your survey type or methodology
Each project needs a survey type, with specified scale-points, to drive data collection for the selected methodology (ex. NPS, CSAT, CES).
To implement the methodology, Delighted survey projects follow a 4-step survey flow:
- A scale-point question
- A follow-up, open-ended comment question
- Additional questions (optional)
- A thank you message to participants
To pick your survey type and it’s related methodology:
- Scroll over to your choice on the survey type selection page.
Pick your survey methodology by clicking its “Choose and customize” button. (We selected Net Promoter Score or “NPS,” which is the most popular option.)
Investigate the value of each survey methodology by watching this Core video, 1: All About Survey Types and Getting Help.
3. Picking a distribution platform
In this example, we'll pick the Email platform from among the various options.
To select a distribution platform:
- Scroll over to your choice on the Platform selection page.
- Click its “Set up” button.
View this Core video, 4: All About Distribution Platforms and Their Metrics, to learn which of Delighted’s platforms can best address your research needs.
For a more in-depth review, head over to the 3. Distribution Platforms & Sending section of the Help Center.
4. Adding and editing customizations
Delighted automatically applies a default custom template to give you a workable starting point. However, you’ll most likely want to change the customization to suit your branding and personal preferences.
You can return at any time to your customization options and edit your choices:
- Clicking "Survey people."
- Opening the "Gear" icon in your platform tile.
- Choosing "Customize appearance."
Using mail as our example
While each platform has slightly different customization requirements, Email is the most representative platform with the most options, so we’ll use it as our example.
Customize your email sends in separate categories:
- Basic customization
- Question customization
- Email customization
- Advanced customization
- Comment page customization
- Thank you page customization
Before you continue with the step-by-step instructions, enjoy this short overview about the customization process from our Core video training program.
- Click “Basic customization.”
- Edit the “Brand/product name.” (Watch as this also changes the Subject line and Title of the email message. If you don't like the results, you can edit later.)
- Click “Update logo” to add an image or logo. Upload your image in either a PNG, JPG or GIF file format. (Delighted will match the “Top bar” accent and score-point “Button text” colors to your logo. In this example black was applied automatically. You can edit these too.)
Change the default “Top bar” and “Button text” colors by clicking the down arrows and choosing a new color from the palette, say from black to orange. For more precision, enter your brand’s hex color code (ex. #EF5F1C).
- Click “Question customization.”
- Reword the default question as required.
Watch carefully as changes made in the Email customization panel instantly appear in the Desktop and Mobile preview sections to the right.
To edit your email addresses:
- Click “Email customization.”
- Edit the default “From Name.”
- Edit the default “Reply to email” address.
- Edit the default “Email subject” line.
Send a test email to yourself or to a teammate. These emails will mimic the entire survey experience, but responses will not be recorded on the Dashboard.
- Click “Advanced customization.”
- Edit the “Survey language” settings as needed.
- Edit the default “Intro message.”
Comment page customization
- Click “Comment page.”
- Edit the “Comment prompt” text.
- Optional: you may choose "Skip comment prompt" to eliminate the comment page altogether. (Uncheck to restore the comment question and prompt.)
Thank you page customization
To reword your Thank you page (which is the message that appears after a recipient takes a survey):
- Click the “Survey people” button.
- Select “Customize your thank you page” at the bottom of the distribution selection menu.
Review a detailed description of your customization options in the 4. Survey Customization section of the Help Center.
5. Entering people and sending your survey
Organize the people you wish to survey in one of two ways:
- Enter by hand
- Upload a list in a CSV (spreadsheet) file
Then, send your email survey!
1. Enter by hand
- Type your email addresses — one per line — into the window.
- Paste your email addresses into the window and edit them so they appear one per line. (Commas and <brackets> are not required and will be stripped out automatically.)
- Click “Next:Review” to scrutinize your list of people.
- Review and edit your people and click “Send.”
2. Upload a list in a CSV (spreadsheet) file
If you have an email list in a spreadsheet (ex. MS Excel or Google Sheets), save it out as a Comma Separated Values (CSV) file and upload it to Delighted.
To prepare your CSV file:
- Enter” Email” in the column header containing your addresses.
- Save the file in a CSV format by choosing “Save As” and picking the “CSV” option. To upload your file to Delighted:
- Select (or drag and drop) the CSV file from your computer to the box seen in the below image.
- Click “Next: Review.”
- Review your recipients.
- Click “Send.”
Now, send your email survey!
To send a one-time survey:
There are many options when it comes to automating email surveys sends, including the use of Autopilot or your favorite integration to automate and streamline the process. Learn more in the Email page in the 3. Distribution Platforms & Sending section in this Help Center. While you are there, check out these other distribution platforms: Web, Kiosk, Link, SMS, SDK.
6. Awaiting your first response
Buckle up because your projects can start receiving valuable feedback within a few minutes of their initial distribution. As results roll in, start analyzing, filtering, and sharing your findings from your Dashboard immediately.
Check out these titles!
- 1: All About Survey Types and Getting Help
- 2: All About Creating Survey Projects
- 3: All About Dashboard Filters, Trends, and Reports
- 4: All About Distribution Platforms and Their Metrics
- 5: All About Survey Customization
- 6: All About Properties and Alerts
- 7: All About Tags, Search, and Editing Additional Questions