The Email Platform
The Email platform is the most common way to collect feedback—whether from customers, constituents, or colleagues. With the Email platform, you can configure and send email surveys right from your Delighted account. Delighted's email template automatically embeds the first question of your survey right within the email, ensuring an intuitive survey experience for your recipients that’s designed for optimal readability and deliverability across all device sizes and types.
In this section
- Setting up the Email platform
- Testing the Email platform
- Sending from the Email platform
- Sending email reminders
- FAQs: The Email platform
Setting up the Email platform
To set up the Email platform, click “Survey people” to navigate to the Platforms page, then choose "Set up" under the Email platform. You can then customize your survey—more information about what customization options are available can be found in section 4. Survey Customization.
Simply click on the gear icon to the right of the Email platform and choose "Customize appearance."
Testing the Email platform
Sending yourself a test email is a great way to experience Email platform surveys like your customers will, without using any of your survey volume or affecting your CX metric.
To send a test email:
- Click on “Survey People” to head to the Platforms page
- Click on the gear icon to the right of the Email platform
- Choose “Customize appearance”
- Under Email customization, enter your email address and click “Send test”
These test emails will take you through the entire survey flow, but your responses will not be saved to the Dashboard.
Sending from the Email platform
There are two options for the Email platform:
- One-time: Surveys can be sent immediately or scheduled for sending in the future with the One-time survey feature
- Autopilot: Repeating or recurring surveys can be scheduled with the Autopilot feature
You can mix the two options by sending your email survey to all of your recipients immediately, and then dropping them into Autopilot for future surveys. This can be useful if you’re trying to get an initial benchmark score from your customers, and then to continue surveying them on an ongoing basis. To do this:
- Import your email list to the One-time survey tab and send your survey
- Add the same email list to the Autopilot tab for future recurring surveys
Inputting email addresses
Type in or upload the email addresses in the entry box. Don't worry if you leave someone out—you can add additional People at any time by clicking the Survey people button.
If you are uploading a CSV or an Excel file, be sure to label the column with the emails we'll be surveying with the header “Email.” If there is no column titled "Email", our parsing system will return the error below:
For example, you may have both a personal email address and a company email address for the same person in two separate columns. If you wanted to have the surveys sent to the personal email address you would give that column the “Email” header.
Here’s an example of that required formatting:
Any time a CSV or Excel file is uploaded to Delighted, we will automatically remove any rows with duplicate emails, only processing the first instance of each email per file. However, to ensure your contacts are up to date and include the most accurate property values, we recommend scanning for duplicates before importing.
Sending Email reminders
Reminders are sent to anyone who hasn’t opened the original survey email one week later.
Sending Reminders is a proven way to increase response rates by reengaging folks who may have overlooked the survey. Reminders focus specifically on people who haven't opened the original email to avoid people who saw the original survey but decided not to respond.
Note that Reminders are a premium feature only available on certain plans. Check out our Pricing page for full information.
A few key details to note:
- Retroactive: When you turn on the Reminders feature, we will check to see if any surveys were sent within the previous week, and will schedule Reminders for any qualified surveys
- No impact on sending volume: Reminders do not count towards your plan's sending limit
- Include properties: Any properties in the original survey request will be included in the Reminder
- Delayed by 7 days: Reminders are set by default to go out 7 days after the survey is first delivered. If you need to adjust this cadence, let us know
- A single reminder: Only one Reminder is sent per survey request
- Same customization: Reminders will contain any customization currently set at the time of their dispatch
To enable Reminders:
- Click “Survey People”
- Click on the gear icon to the right of the Email platform
- Choose “Configure Reminders”
- Click “Turn on”
FAQs: The Email platform
In this section
- Do Delighted surveys avoid spam filters?
- Can I see who has bounced or unsubscribed after sending emails?
- Do you have an HTML template I can use in my own Email platform?
Do Delighted surveys avoid spam filters?
Delighted surveys have exceptional deliverability rates. Our team continually runs our surveys through testing to ensure the highest rate of spam avoidance, optimal rendering (based on device and Email platform), and more.
If you have any questions about your account and deliverability, feel free to contact our Concierge team and we can take a look!
Can I see people who bounced or unsubscribed after sending emails?
Check out more information on managing bounces and unsubscribes in our section 5. Managing People and Properties.
Do you have an HTML template I can use in my own Email platform?
Yes, but sending Delighted surveys from your own email platform is not recommended.
Here are a few key benefits from leveraging Delighted in lieu of custom HTML templates:
- Much simpler: Self-sending involves fine-tuning dozens of details that typically fall to email marketing gurus, such as correctly handling URL construction and property set-up, as well as developing checks to prevent customers from being over-surveyed. With our Email platform, we'll manage the sending and take care of all of those details automatically.
- Bot filtering: Our automated response filtering system analyzes each response in realtime and filters out the various automated responses produced by some email clients. This system has been trained on millions of responses. We generate unique, cryptographically strong URLs for every email we send. This means we can differentiate repeated clicks (even across devices, and across large time windows). Self-sending will bypass that system entirely.
- Automatic improvements: We are regularly refining the template to improve client compatibility. Since HTML templates won't dynamically refresh based on those improvements, you'll miss out on those updates. Every update is carefully tested.
- Engagement tracking: Delighted continuously monitors all survey engagement, including the amount of surveys sent, opened, commented, throttled, bounced, and much more. We also track the same engagement across all platforms, such as Web and SMS. Our tracking is highly reliable and helps ensure you can accomplish key initiatives such as: 1) Testing out subject lines to gauge impact on open rates, 2) Refining your sample to focus on more engaged customers, and 3) Self-identifying any issues with sending, such as accidentally throttling due to resending to the sample folks too quickly.
- Deliverability: In addition to all of our emails being fully authenticated (using DKIM, SPF and DMARC), we also monitor sending and delivery for you in real time, to optimize response rates.
If you’d still like to send from your own Email platform, reach out to the Concierge team for details.