The Email Platform
In this article:
- Introducing the Email platform.
- Setting up the Email platform.
- Sending from the Email platform.
- Inputting email addresses with a CSV or Excel file.
- Adding (and editing) Additional Questions.
- Changing and editing your survey after the initial setup.
- How do I send Email Reminders?
- How do I test the Email platform?
- How do I add the Email platform to an existing project?
- Do Delighted surveys avoid spam filters?
- Can I see who has bounced or unsubscribed after sending emails?
Introducing the Email platform
The Email platform is the most common way to collect feedback—whether from customers, constituents, or colleagues. With the Email platform, you can send email surveys right from your Delighted account, or from your favorite CRM using a simple Delighted integration.
Delighted's email template automatically embeds the first question of your survey within an email, ensuring a frictionless and intuitive survey experience for your recipients. Email surveys are designed for optimal readability and deliverability across devices—both desktop or mobile.
Core training video 2, Creating Survey Projects, blasts through the survey creation steps using the Email platform as the prime example. If you are new to the Email platform and have not yet seen this video, it's a great starting point—guaranteed.
Setting up the Email platform
Setting up the Email platform follows the same 5 steps outlined in the Creating Survey Projects video seen above. The steps are:
Create Project: Select “Create a New Project” from the Projects menu.
Platform: Pick Email as your distribution platform by selecting "Set up" at the bottom of the Email platform tile.
How do I add the Email platform to an existing project?
Pick the "Survey People" button and reopen the platform selection page. Choose "Set up" under the Email platform tile.
Customization: Add your branding, color scheme, and logo; reword you survey's question; change email addresses and subject lines; alter your survey language, and more.
All about customization
Learn all of the details by reviewing Email Platform Customization—Deep Dive.
To open your customization options, simply click on the "Gear" icon to the right of the Email platform and choose "Customize appearance."
People: Send the survey to your people (aka "participants," "respondents," "subjects," or “research panel”).
Pop down to the next section, Sending from the Email platform, for the details on this final step.
Sending from the Email platform
There are two options for the Email platform:
- One-time: Surveys can be sent immediately or scheduled for sending in the future with the One-time survey feature
- Autopilot: Repeating or recurring surveys can be scheduled with the Autopilot feature
You can mix both sending options by sending your email survey to all of your recipients immediately, and then dropping them into Autopilot for future surveys. This can be useful if you’re trying to get an initial benchmark score from your customers, and then to continue surveying them on an ongoing basis.
To coordinate the two sending methods:
- Import your email list to the One-time survey tab and send your survey.
- Add the same email list to the Autopilot tab for future recurring surveys.
Inputting email addresses with a CSV or Excel file
Type, paste, or upload the email addresses into the entry box. Don't worry if you leave someone out—you can add additional People at any time by clicking the Survey people button.
If you are uploading your email addresses in a CSV or an Excel file, be sure to label the column with the emails we'll be surveying with the header “Email.” If there is no column titled "Email", our parsing system will return the error below:
For example, you may have both a personal email address and a company email address for the same person in two separate columns. These turn into properties, and help identify your respondents. (Note: If you wanted to have the surveys sent to the personal email address you would give that column the “Email” header.)
Here’s an example of that required formatting:
As a CSV or Excel file is uploaded to Delighted, we'll automatically remove any rows with duplicate emails, only processing the first instance of each email per file.
However, to ensure your contacts are up to date and include the most accurate property values, we recommend scanning for duplicates before importing.
Adding (and editing) Additional Questions
Additional questions may include up to 10 custom—yet optional—questions that will follow your initial survey question and comment prompt. Get started by:
- Clicking “Survey people” at the top of the Dashboard.
- Clicking on the gear icon to the right of the desired platform.
- Clicking “Configure additional questions.”
On the following page, selecting a question type and customizing your question. You can also edit questions from the same section.
- After you’ve finished adding or editing, click “Save question.”
- Optional: Repeat for any other questions you’d like to add or edit.
- After adding all desired questions, choose “Turn on” to go live with your Additional Questions.
Learn all about adding and editing Additional questions on the Additional questions page.
If you are new to Additional questions, be sure to catch the video in the introductory section. It's five minutes long and is guaranteed to give you a massive head start.
Changing and editing your survey after the initial setup
Once you've gone through the initial setup of your survey project, you'll be brought to the Delighted Dashboard.
Never fear! From your Dashboard you can go back and edit your survey at any time by:
- Clicking "Survey people."
- Opening the "Gear" icon in your platform tile.
- Choosing "Customize appearance."
What changes can I make to my survey later in the process?
Here is a quick summary of the types of changes you may need to make to your survey as you go along, together with quick links to the Email Platform Customization—Deep Dive sections that explain it all step-by-step!
- Basic customization: Branding, including colors and logo
- Question customization: Reword the initial survey question
- Email customization: Email subject line and Email addresses
- Advanced customization: Change the intro message
- Comment page customization: Change the comment prompt (the open ended question that comes second in the survey flow)
- Thank you page customization: Thank you page, which is the screen that shows once the survey has been submitted or any post-survey redirects
Survey type: You can't currently change your survey type once the project has been set up. Instead, you'll want to delete the project and start again. See Survey Types Overview for more information.
How do I send Email Reminders?
Reminders can be sent one week after the initial send to anyone who hasn’t opened the original survey email. Reminders provide a proven way to increase response rates by reengaging with those who may have overlooked the survey. (Visit the Reminders page in this Help Center to learn more.)
Reminders are a premium feature only available on certain plans. Check out our Pricing page for full information.
To enable Reminders:
- Click “Survey People.”
- Click on the "Gear" icon to the right of the Email platform.
- Choose “Configure Reminders.”
- Click “Turn on.”
How do I test the Email platform?
Sending yourself a test email is a great way to experience Email platform surveys like your customers will, without using any of your survey volume or affecting your CX metric.
To send a test email:
- Click on “Survey People” to head to the Platforms page.
- Click on the gear icon to the right of the Email platform.
- Choose “Customize appearance.”
- Under Email customization, enter your email address and click “Send test.”
These test emails will take you through the entire survey flow, but your responses will not be saved to the Dashboard.
Do Delighted surveys avoid spam filters?
Delighted surveys have exceptional deliverability rates. Our team continually runs our surveys through testing to ensure the highest rate of spam avoidance, optimal rendering (based on device and Email platform), and more.
If you have any questions about your account and deliverability, feel free to click the purple Beacon Help icon in the bottom-left corner of your screen and start a conversation with our Concierge team.
Can I see people who bounced or unsubscribed after sending emails?>
Check out more information on managing bounces and unsubscribes in section 5. Managing People and Properties.