The Kiosk Platform: Displaying Templates on a Kiosk
In this article:
- Introducing the Kiosk platform.
- How the Kiosk platform works.
- Setting up the Kiosk platform.
- Downloading and troubleshooting the Delighted Kiosk app.
- Testing and previewing the Kiosk platform.
- Adding additional kiosks.
- Adjusting your Kiosk devices.
- Adding properties to your Kiosk Template.
- How do I find my Kiosk setup code should I need it again?
- What devices support the Delighted Kiosk app?
- How can I get the URL of the Kiosk Template?
- How long does the timer last before the survey is reset?
- How do I update the Template based on which Kiosk is displayed?
Suggested next article: Kiosk Platform Customization
Introducing the Kiosk platform
The Kiosk platform allows you to customize a Template and display it in any physical location using the Delighted Kiosk app — which is setting the standard for point-in-time feedback.
Often set-up as a mounted iPad or tablet on a stand, Kiosk surveys run in a loop, refreshing for the next person as soon a response is completed. This allows Kiosks to handle large crowds while consistently collecting feedback.
How the Kiosk platform works
The Kiosk platform is composed of two parts:
- The Kiosk Template survey
- The Delighted Kiosk app
Within the Delighted platform, you can customize your Kiosk survey and create multiple “Kiosks” for different locations.
The Kiosk platform follows the consistent Templates survey flow:
Setting up the Kiosk platform
To add the Kiosk platform to an existing survey:
- Click “Survey people”
- Choose “Set up” → seen under the Kiosk platform tile
- Walk through the basic customization steps → see Kiosk platform customization for details
- Select “Next configure"
- Name your Kiosk Template → and click "Save and finish"
The next steps are:
|1||Download and troubleshoot the Delighted Kiosk app|
|2||Test and preview your Kiosk Template survey|
|3||Add additional Kiosks|
|4||Adjust your Kiosk devices as needed|
|5||Add Properties to your Kiosk Template|
Downloading and troubleshooting the Delighted Kiosk app
In order to download the Delighted Kiosk app, you'll need access to an iOS device. Then, download the Delighted Kiosk for iOS from the App Store.
Once downloaded, you'll be prompted to enter in the code or scan the QR code associated with the Kiosk you want to display. This code is the one listed under the Kiosk platform page as seen in the below image. We request this code to:
- Make sure you're authorized to display the survey
- Verify we're displaying the expected survey
There are three ways to provide the code: via the code number, with the QR code, or with an email
If you're having issues downloading the Delighted Kiosk app, visit these troubleshooting resources from Apple:
- Download apps and games from the App Store
- If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or other Apple device
For other issues downloading the Delighted Kiosk app, contact Delighted's Customer Concierge team and we'll lend a hand!
How do I find my Kiosk setup code should I need it again?
- Click “Survey people”
- Choose “Adjust settings” → seen under the Kiosk platform tile
- Click "Settings" → next to the location you wish to set up
Testing and previewing the Kiosk platform
With a Kiosk platform survey, your customization, branding, core metric question, and Additional Questions will look the same across all of your kiosks. That’s convenient. Technically, you’ll only need to test and preview your entire survey once from a single kiosk!
Take the survey as if you were a participant, and that's all there is to it! (Note: You can go in later and delete your preview/test response the People tab and purge this response from your results.)
Important: If you apply properties (see Adding properties to your Kiosk below) or add in any of Delighted's built-in Special Properties to dynamically update responses coming from a kiosk, you may wish to test and preview that variable to make sure the properties have been defined and are reporting properly — just to be on the safe side.
Adding additional Kiosks
Once you set up your first Kiosk, you will have the option to create additional Kiosks that differ based on the properties associated with each. For example, you might create one Kiosk for your New York City store location, and another for your Atlanta store location. To add another Kiosk:
- Click “Survey people”
- Choose “Adjust settings” → seen under the Kiosk platform
- Choose “Add a new kiosk”
- Configure your Kiosk → including giving it a name and adding any relevant properties
- Click “Save and finish”
Adding properties to your Kiosk Template
Adding properties to each Kiosk will allow you to segment feedback from one location to the next. With properties, run comparative analysis between Kiosk responses to surface key insights such as:
- What location is performing best?
- What teams are receiving negative feedback and could use additional training?
- Are customers mentioning certain pain points at a particular location versus other locations (ex. long wait times referenced at one location)?
- How is survey engagement compared between Kiosk and email-based surveys?
By default, the name of the Kiosk will be passed as a property with each response. If you name the Kiosk something identifiable (like “Salt Lake City store”), there is no need to pass another identifying property as well!
Including properties for each Kiosk will provide context to your data so that you can easily segment it for powerful insights. Follow these steps to add properties to each of your Kiosks:
- Click “Survey people”
- Click "Adjust Settings” → seen under the Kiosk platform
- Click the "Settings" link → located next to the Kiosk you'd like to update
- On the Kiosk settings page → scroll down to the section for Add properties to your Kiosk
- Click “Add a property”
- Include any property and value you'd like associated with that Kiosk → (ex. location, event date, product line, marketing campaign title, etc.).
- Click “Save”
For more information about how properties can add context and help filter to your data, head to section 5. Managing People and Properties.
Adjusting your Kiosk devices
The steps below detail how to disable the home button, adjust gestures, prevent screen timeouts, and maximize brightness for iPad devices — using the Accessibility settings.
Note: If you're not using an iPad, feel free to contact our Customer Concierge team and we can refer you to the steps required for alternative devices.
Don't forget to plug in your device if the Kiosk will be running for a extended length of time.
Disabling the home button
Prevent customers from navigating away from the survey by disabling your tablet's home button.
- Go to "Settings"
- Click on "General"
- Under General → select "Accessibility"
- Under Accessibility → select "Guided Access"
- Turn on "Guided Access"
Once Guided Access is enabled, your iOS device will lock down on your survey (ex. the Home button, Notification Center, and Control Center will be disabled).
On most iOS devices, disabling the home button is sufficient for keeping customers on the survey page. However, it's also worth going to Settings → Multitasking Gestures to disable gestures.
Preventing screen timeout
Since you'll want your Kiosk survey to be visible and accessible throughout the day, preventing the screen from timing out or shutting off is critical. To avoid this issue, disable common energy saving configurations on your device that will force screen timeout.
- Go to "Settings"
- Click on "General"
- Under General → select "Auto-Lock"
- Under Auto-Lock → select "Never"
Once Auto-Lock is disabled and set to Never, your screen will remain enabled indefinitely.
Maximizing screen brightness
Turning your device brightness up will help ensure that your surveys are visible and help those with visual impairments more easily engage with the survey.
- Open the "Settings" app
- Select the option for "Display & Brightness"
- Move the slider to full brightness
- Disable any other brightness settings, such as Auto-Brightness, as that will dynamically change the brightness based on ambient lighting
What devices support the Delighted Kiosk app?
Any device can support Delighted's Kiosk surveys.
For an optimal end-user experience, we recommend using Delighted's Kiosk app for iOS devices.
We recommend using an iPad for the fullest survey experience. However, other iOS devices also work, like the iPhone 11 Pro Max or iPhone XS Max.
You can also use Android devices/tablets or a desktop computer to display Delighted Kiosk surveys. When setting up a Kiosk, click “Email this code and instructions to your device” on the Kiosk settings page. The emailed instructions will contain a link you can use to display your Kiosk Template.
Simply bookmark that link and open it on any device where you want Delighted Kiosk surveys rendered. All the same logic will apply to the link as it would to the iOS device (like the auto-refresh rate).
How can I get the URL of the Kiosk Template?
The primary way to get the URL for your Kiosk Template would be to:
- Go to your Kiosk "Settings" page.
- Navigate to "Set up your kiosk."
- Click on “Email this code and instructions to your device.”
- In the email you receive → you'll have access to the URL for your Kiosk.
The main difference between this link and the Link platform is the application of Kiosk settings, like the auto-refresh option.
How long does the timer last before the survey is reset?
By default, the survey will reset after 10 seconds of inactivity.
Any survey progress made at that point will be saved to your Dashboard. If you’d like to adjust this timing, reach out to us!
How do I update the Template based on which Kiosk is displayed?
If you're a business that will be deploying Kiosks across multiple locations, you might be interested in fine-tuning the customization for each site (ex. if you'd like the Template to reflect the actual store name in the question displayed in each Kiosk).
To achieve this level of customization, we'll leverage Special Properties and the Kiosk platform's ability to set different properties for each Kiosk. In the example below, we'll be focusing on adjusting the Brand/ Product Name of each Kiosk CX survey, but be sure to refer to the Special Property guide for information on dynamically customizing other survey elements (like Intro Message, localization for different languages, etc.)
In this example, we'll be adding a special property of Question Product Name to set the question customization to "How would you rate your experience with Delighted's pop-up event?"
- Head to the Platforms page by clicking “Survey people”
- Click on “Adjust settings” under Kiosk
- Click on Settings → next to the Kiosk survey you're looking to update
- On the Kiosk settings page → scroll down to "Add properties to your kiosk"
- Click "Add a property"
- Add the desired Special Property. (In this example, we'll be adding Question Product Name which is set to "Delighted's pop-up event.")
- On your Kiosk settings page → you should see the property added with a purple badge labeled "Special," indicating a special property
- Try scanning the QR code → and verify that the special property is dynamically updating the as expected