Templates Tags and the Tag Manager
In this article:
- Introducing Tags.
- Tagging a response.
- Viewing all the tags for a response.
- Key sections of the tag manager page.
- Renaming tags.
- Merging tags.
- Deleting tags.
- Use case: Tips for creating meaningful tags.
Suggested next article: Dashboards and Filtering
Tags offer a quick way to categorize and filter your feedback. Tags are added after responses have been received (unlike properties, which are added to survey requests prior to being dispatched).
Tags can be used to label similar types of comments (ex. folks mentioning customer support), surface known qualities about a customer (ex. prior service issues), or identify opportunities for follow-up.
Watch this video for a brief overview of how tags will add depth to your research.
Tagging a response
To add a tag to a response from the Dashboard, click on “Add a tag” under the response. Enter a new tag or choose from the list of tags you’ve created previously.
You can also add tags from the Permalink page by clicking on “Add a tag” along the right side of the page.
Viewing all of the tags for a response
From the Dashboard, all of the tags associated with a response are listed below the response in the comment card.
On the Permalink page, all of the tags associated with a response are listed on the right side of the page.
Key sections of the tag manager page
The tag manager lets you manage all of your tags in one location. Here you can update existing tags, merge similar tags, or delete tags that are no longer in use.
To get to the tag manager, click on the gear icon just below any response on the Dashboard. You can also follow this quick link.
In the tag manager, you’ll see a number of columns for reviewing a tag’s metric breakdown. You will also see options for editing your tags as marked in the below image:
- Tag: List of all tags created for this project
- Metric breakdown: Total number of responses associated with each tag, broken down by score group
- Total: Total number of responses associated with a each tag
- Rename: Option to rename any of your existing tags
- Merge: Option to combine two tags into a single tag
- Delete: Option to remove all instances of any specific tag
All tags and score groups are also hyperlinked. Clicking on a tag or the count under a specific score group (ex. promoter) will take you to the Dashboard.
Any adjustments that you make to tags—renaming, merging, or deleting—only affect that tag. They have no effect on the responses that use that tag (other than being relabeled with a new tag name or having a tag removed).
To rename a tag:
- Click “Rename” next to the tag you’d like to edit.
- Type in the new name.
- Click “Rename tag” to save your changes.
To merge two tags:
- Click “Merge” next to the tag you’d like to merge into a different tag (ex. if you are combining tags “A” and “B” under tag “A,” click “Merge” next to tag “B”).
- Select the tag you’d like to merge with from the dropdown.
- Click “Merge tag” to save your changes.
To delete a tag:
- Click “Delete” next to the tag you want to remove.
- Click “Delete tag” to confirm.
Use case: Tips for creating meaningful tags
Tags can be used to label similar types of comments (ex. folks mentioning customer support), surface known qualities about a customer (ex. prior service issues), and other key details you'd like to use to segment customer feedback that wouldn’t normally be passed as properties when scheduling your surveys.
You can also try adding a main topic and subtopic for your tags as shown below. This allows you to filter for overarching themes in feedback, such as “Customer Support”, and then drill down into more specifics (like identifying which “CS” subtopics came up the most often within a given time frame).