The SMS Platform
The Delighted SMS platform provides a convenient way to collect feedback from your customers on their mobile devices. SMS surveys are fast, highly visible, and engaging.
Even better: smartphones are not required. There is no special app for your participants to download or special site to visit—with delivery occurring on a customer’s phone as a standard text message, you can be confident that your surveys will receive front and center treatment rather than getting lost in a busy inbox.
The SMS platform is a premium feature, only available on certain plans. Check out our Pricing page for full details.
In this section
- How SMS surveys appear to respondents
- Setting up the SMS platform
- Testing the SMS platform
- Sending from the SMS platform
- SMS Smart Scheduling
- FAQs: The SMS platform
How SMS surveys appear to respondents
SMS surveys are delivered in three successive steps:
- Score question (NPS, CSAT, etc.)
- Open-ended Comment question
- Thank You page
Each step appears in an SMS thread one at a time, allowing the customer to respond and move the survey along easily.
Setting up the SMS platform
To set up your SMS survey, click “Survey People” to navigate to the Platforms page, then choose "Set up" under the SMS platform. You can then customize your survey—more information about what customization options are available can be found in section 4. Survey Customization.
Yes! Click on the gear icon to the right of the SMS platform and choose "Customize appearance" to view or edit that customization.
Testing the SMS platform
Sending yourself a test SMS message is a great way to experience SMS platform surveys like your customers will, without using any of your survey volume or affecting your CX metric.
To send a test SMS message:
- Click on “Survey People” to head to the Platforms page
- Click on the gear icon to the right of the SMS platform
- Choose “Customize appearance”
- Under Basic customization, enter your phone number and click “Send test”
These test SMS messages will take you through the entire survey flow, but your responses will not be saved to the Dashboard.
Sending from the SMS platform
There are two options when it comes to sending your SMS surveys:
- One-time: Surveys can be sent immediately or scheduled for sending in the future with the One-time survey feature
- Autopilot: Repeating or recurring surveys can be scheduled with the Autopilot feature
As with the Email platform, these options can be combined by first sending a one-time survey, and then importing that same list of recipients to the Autopilot tab.
With SMS, there are a few details that are critical for a successful send:
- Use the phone number header: This should be the title of the column including the phone numbers (can also be lowercase or written as “phone_number”)
- Format the numbers in E.164: The number value should start with
+followed by the country code and then the number. The value should contain only
+and digits, no spaces or other punctuation (ex. +17605555555)
We also recommend including the email address even when sending via SMS, so that you have a unified profile for the customer if you do ever want to send them email surveys.
Here’s an example of the required formatting for those phone numbers:
If you're seeing an error message like this:
Make sure your phone numbers are formatted as above. If you’re still having trouble after confirming the formatting is correct, please send us a note and we can help out!
You can schedule SMS surveys using our API with just a few tweaks to the Sending to people endpoint. Just be sure to include the following parameters when sending:
- channel: This parameter must be set to SMS to designate the survey channel
- phone_number: Format the numbers in E.164, just as when you’re passing phone numbers within the platform
SMS Smart Scheduling
SMS surveys sent while your customers are sleeping can result in negative experiences, less-than-positive feedback, and lower response rates. Delighted’s SMS platform leverages our Smart Scheduling to ensure surveys are only sent during reasonable hours (7am - 7pm). If you send an SMS survey during off-hours, Smart Scheduling will queue it up until the following morning!
FAQs: The SMS platform
In this section
- What does "SMS approval pending" mean?
- Are there limitations to who I can survey with SMS?
- Can I set a local phone number to use when sending SMS surveys?
- Why am I not receiving SMS surveys?
- Why am I not receiving the comment message?
What does "SMS approval pending" mean?
If you’re seeing “SMS approval pending” after attempting to send SMS surveys, please reach out to our Customer Concierge team. We can get that approval pushed through manually so that you can get to sending!
Are there limitations to who I can survey with SMS?
Can I set a local phone number to use when sending SMS surveys?
We can localize the number from which the SMS messages are sent to a specific country or region. Send us a message and we can specify a local number for your account.
Why am I not receiving the SMS survey?
There are a couple of things that might be preventing your surveys from sending:
- Phone number format: Confirm you added a + and your country code (E.164 format)
- Smart Scheduling: Smart Scheduling avoids sending in the middle of the night, so if you are testing late at night (for the timezone of the country code and area code of the target phone number), the message will be queued for later delivery.
- Location: We may not have support for SMS in your country yet.
Why am I not receiving the comment message?
The Delighted SMS platform works with two-way SMS, which is not supported by all countries.
If you’re not receiving the comment message after providing a score, let us know and we can confirm whether two-way SMS is supported in your region.