How is NPS calculated?
The Net Promoter Score is calculated with the following equation:
Total percentage of Promoters - Total percentage of Detractors = Your NPS Score
Lets break that down piece by piece:
- Total percentage of Promoters: Total percent of responses where the score was a 9 or a 10
- Total percentage of Detractors: Total percent of responses where the score was 6 or below
As an example, lets imagine we received the following responses:
- Promoters: 10 (50% of total responses)
- Passives: 5 (25% of total responses)
- Detractors: 5 (25% of total responses)
The above gives us 50% of total responses as Promoters and 25% of total responses as Detractors. Plugging that into the equation:
50 - 25 = 25 (Your NPS)
Note, NPS always rounds to a whole number. Feel free to test the equation out with our live NPS calculator!